Household worker insurance

Household worker insurance

WorkCover Queensland’s Household Workers’ Insurance policy is $50 for a two-year term.

This is a set time frame where all policies have a common end date irrespective of when the policy commences. The premium is not pro-rated, however a reduction of the rate to $25 is applied if the time remaining to the common end date is less than 12 months.

Who should I cover?

Paying workers to help you around the home can make you an employer.

If you employ a household worker in, or about, or in connection with your primary place of residence or connected property, it is compulsory to take out a Household Workers’ Insurance Policy. This will cover you against potential compensation costs if the worker is injured while working for you.

Who is considered a ‘household worker’?

Household workers include cleaners, nannies, baby sitters, gardeners, handymen and in-home carers. Individual sole trader contractors with ABN’s operating their own business may also be considered to be household workers.

A holiday home is considered a private dwelling provided it is not also used as a rental property. Any workers engaged directly by the tenants of a rental property can be covered under a Household Workers’ insurance policy. Landlords who engage workers for their rental property, are not covered under a Household Workers’ insurance policy and must take out an Accident Insurance policy.

An Accident Insurance Policy is also recommended for homeowners who let out part of their house short term to the public regardless of whether they are living at the property or not.

Check out our FAQs page for scenarios where a Household Worker policy may be required, or call WorkCover on 1300 362 128 to discuss your circumstances with one of our expert advisors.

How do I take out a household workers’ insurance policy?

It’s quick and easy to apply online for WorkCover Queensland’s Household Workers’ Insurance policy.

The current period of insurance runs from 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2018.

You will receive a renewal notice in late November or early December 2018. To insure for another two years, simply pay your premium by the due date. If you have ceased employing household workers and do not want your policy to continue, do not make payment and your policy will automatically cancel.

Please call us on 1300 362 128 if you have any questions about your insurance requirements. For more information on our Household Workers’ Insurance policy, read our product disclosure statement.

Last updated

27 January 2017


Like This